Thursday, July 25, 2013

DIY Bulletin Board Ribbon Border

Sorry I have been MIA lately. I have been frantically busy getting my classroom ready. Summer School starts Monday! I decided to totally overhaul my classroom since I was switching it from the Kindergarten Room it has been for the last 5 years into a Title 1 Resource Room. The room had to fit students who range in age from 1st grade to 3rd grade this year and I decided on a teal and lime theme. (Our school colors are Black, Silver and Teal) I am LOVING it! Here's one quick and easy way I updated my bulletin boards. I cannot tell you how easy this is and how amazing it looks! 

First, I took a long piece of butcher paper (we have big rolls of it in several colors) and loosely folded rolled it up so I didn't have to cut long strips, I could make a short cut and it cut the whole length at once. (A major time saver)
I used a random piece of boarder that I had laying around so that I could make each strip the same size. 
Once you have your strips, bunch them, scrunch, them and make them very wrinkly. The wrinklier, the better! (Is wrinklier a word???) 
I then bunched and scrunched it on the board and stapled it in several places. Fluff it up and you're done! 
I have a huge "fake" wall on one side of my room that is actually a divider between my room and the room next door. Technically, you could open the divider and have one huge room, but we just use it as a big bulletin board. I have it sectioned off, so that is why you see two boarders with the paper ribbon.  Excuse the crooked photo. I took it with my phone. I have black plastic as the background instead of paper. It doesn't fade and holds up great fairly well...if you don't have a bunch of 5 year olds picking at it during Daily 5 Read to Self! :)
I will be posting an update on how the classroom makeover is coming soon!
MB

5 comments:

  1. Hi. I am going to try your paper ribbon scrunchy stuff this year on my boards...looking forward to seeing how it will turn out! Loved your pictures of your room!!! Thanks for sharing your idea!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you get your black plastic? Great look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I've seen teachers put up the thin plastic black table cloths from the Dollar Tree for a board background. I've used black wrapping paper from Party City and it's worked great too (I teach middle school).

      Delete
    3. I've seen teachers put up the thin plastic black table cloths from the Dollar Tree for a board background. I've used black wrapping paper from Party City and it's worked great too (I teach middle school).

      Delete